Carney says goodbye to close ally, ‘friend’ as British PM Starmer says he’ll resign
OTTAWA — Prime Minister Mark Carney is saying goodbye to his British counterpart after the two met repeatedly to discuss a shared vision for western countries.
Conceding that he had lost the support of the party membership, British Prime Minister Keir Starmer announced Monday he will resign once his Labour Party chooses a new leader.
“Throughout, and in the face of exceptional challenges, Keir has acted with principle, determination, and collaboration,” Carney wrote on the platform X. “The world is safer and allies are more united because of

Diesel spill contained in Mimico Creek, city and province launch cleanup and investigation
Oliver Tree, the eccentric American musician and comedian, killed at 32 in a Brazil helicopter crash
NEW YORK (AP) — Oliver Tree, the eccentric American musician known for viral stunts, alt-pop tracks like “Alien Boy” and “Life Goes On,” and his unconventional style, died in a helicopter crash in Rio de Janeiro on June 14. He was 32.
Representatives for Tree directed The Associated Press to an official confirmation posted to Tree’s Instagram account.
“Rest in peace Oliver Tree Nickell June 29, 1993 — June 14, 202

Man who fatally shot 2 security guards at Vaughan nightclub sentenced to life in prison
Metrolinx proposes big penalty hike in effort to combat GO Transit and UP Express fare evasion
Ottawa reverses order to surrender some ‘lost Canadian’ citizenship certificates
OTTAWA — Just one week after some “lost Canadians” were told to surrender their new citizenship certificates, a few received letters over the weekend confirming their citizenship claims are once again considered valid.
The department has said “a few dozen” people who received proof of citizenship under Canada’s citizenship-by-descent law received letters earlier this month demanding they surrender their proof of citizenship pending further review.
A new confirmation letter shared with The Canadian Press today says the recipient’s citizenship was reconfirmed after a “thorough

National cannabis organization suspends operations, citing active illegal market
HALIFAX — A national cannabis lobby group representing licenced producers and processors is suspending operations, citing challenges tied to the unregulated cannabis market.
The Cannabis Council of Canada says the decision reflects the headwinds facing the industry, as companies are challenged by financial pressures, complex regulations and the “highly active” illicit market.
The organization says these pressures have put a strain on the producers and processors it represents.
The council’s president, Paul McCarthy, says the organization has been calling on Ottawa to establish a national strategy for eradicating

Police arrest third suspect in connection with ‘gruesome’ death at North York building
Toronto police have arrested a third suspect in connection with the death of a man at a North York apartment building.
Investigators were called to a building on Agate Road, near Keele Street and Wilson Avenue, just after 6 a.m. on June 14 for reports that a group of people were fighting.
Police say a 32-year-old man was pronounced dead at the scene after being allegedly assaulted and then hit by a vehicle . He was later identified as Erik Safar.
An eyewitness described the scene

Child allegedly sexually assaulted inside Scarborough grocery store; suspect sought
Toronto police are asking for the public’s help identifying a man accused of sexually assaulting a child inside a grocery store in Scarborough on Sunday evening.
Officers were called to the Victoria Park Avenue and St. Clair Avenue East area around 7 p.m. on June 21, after a report that a child had been assaulted while shopping with their parents.
According to investigators, the child was inside a grocery store when an unknown man approached and sexually assaulted the victim. Police say the suspect immediately fled, prompting

Peel police say 3 officers disciplined after internal probe into promotional‑process misconduct
Peel Regional Police (PRP) have confirmed that three officers were denied promotions and handed internal discipline after an investigation found that they improperly accessed or shared confidential material tied to a major promotional process earlier this year.
The findings stem from an internal complaint filed during the service’s largest-ever round of promotions — a process that saw 82 PRP officers elevated to new ranks, with others approved for advancement as positions became available.
The complaint triggered a professional standards investigation into potential cheating involving candidates seeking roles at the Staff
