Man, 41, charged after allegedly assaulting several people with a weapon on the Danforth

A man has been charged in connection with several assaults that were reported in the Danforth neighbourhood on Friday night.

Police were called to the area of Coxwell and Danforth Avenues at approximately 8:45 p.m. after several people were allegedly assaulted with a weapon.

The suspect, identified as 41-year-old Tharshan Thaparanantham, is also accused of damaging several vehicles.

Details of the assault and the type of weapon involved were not disclosed.

Thaparanantham was arrested and charged with six offences, including 12

Add as a preferred source on Google

Police hunt underway for suspect in Parkdale stabbing

Police are on the hunt for a man who is wanted in connection with an alleged stabbing that was reported in Parkdale on Sunday afternoon.

Emergency crews were called to the area of King Street West and Dufferin Street some time before 5 p.m. for reports of a fight between two men.

Authorities say they located a man in his 20s at the scene who was transported to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

The circumstances leading up to the fight were not immediately known, and it’

Add as a preferred source on Google

Ebola cases in eastern Congo climb to 782 and deaths reach 181, authorities say

KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — The number of confirmed Ebola cases in Congo has increased to 782, with 181 deaths, the Congolese Ministry of Health said in a statement on social platform X on Sunday evening.

However, the number of cases in Congo is believed to be higher because the outbreak was confirmed on May 15, weeks after it is suspected to have begun, and the contact tracing coverage rate is at 56%, a sharp decrease from last week.

The latest Ebola outbreak

Add as a preferred source on Google

Tyra Banks sues Netflix over ‘America’s Next Top Model’ documentary, alleging defamation

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Tyra Banks has filed a defamation lawsuit against Netflix and the directors of its docuseries “Reality Check: Inside America’s Next Top Model,” alleging that the producers stripped down hours of interview footage to construct a false narrative.

In the lawsuit filed Saturday in Los Angeles federal court, the model who created and hosted “America’s Next Top Model” said she was interviewed for 3 1/2 hours, during which she took responsibility for some of the show’s controversial decisions

Add as a preferred source on Google

Former Senate leader Mitch McConnell is in the hospital, but little more information is known

WASHINGTON (AP) — Republican Sen. Mitch McConnell was admitted to a hospital Sunday, his spokesperson said, but there was no immediate information about why he was there or his prognosis.

McConnell, 84, was the longest serving Senate leader in history before stepping aside from that role while finishing his final term, which ends in January.

“Senator McConnell was admitted to the hospital this morning. He is receiving excellent care,” spokesperson David Popp said in a statement without elaboration. It was not immediately clear whether

Add as a preferred source on Google

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney says US AI restrictions underscore risks of dependence

WESTPORT, Ireland (AP) — Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney said Sunday U.S. restrictions on Anthropic’s newest AI models show the dangers of overreliance on a limited number of American providers.

AI giant Anthropic said Friday it has taken its latest artificial intelligence models, known as Fable 5 and Mythos 5, offline to comply with a directive from the Trump administration to prevent their use by foreign nationals.

The export controls mark the U.S. government’s most significant step to date to restrict access to

Add as a preferred source on Google

12 dead in crash of plane on skydiving outing in Missouri, authorities say

BUTLER, Mo. (AP) — A plane carrying a pilot and 11 passengers on a skydiving outing in Missouri crashed in a field and was engulfed in flames Sunday, killing all aboard, authorities said.

The crash happened shortly after the plane took off from a local airport around 11:30 a.m., and some of the occupants’ family members witnessed the crash, said Bates County Sheriff Chad Anderson. Clergy and volunteers went to the scene to assist the relatives, Anderson said, and

Add as a preferred source on Google

Putin, Zelenskyy speak with Trump by phone as drone strikes kill 2 in Russia and UK detains tanker

Russian President Vladimir Putin and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy each spoke by phone with U.S. President Donald Trump on Sunday, as Trump marked his 80th birthday and the war in Ukraine remained a flashpoint ahead of this week’s G7 summit.

Putin’s call with Trump lasted just under an hour, according to Russian presidential aide Yuri Ushakov, who briefed reporters afterward.

On Ukraine, Ushakov said Trump emphasized the need to end hostilities and stated his readiness to influence European allies and Kyiv toward that goal

Add as a preferred source on Google

Police report no major incidents at Vancouver’s first World Cup game at BC Place

Police in Vancouver say there were no major incidents during the city’s first ever World Cup game between Australia and Turkey, as visitors and foreign media are praising the host city for BC Place and the atmosphere.

A Vancouver Police Department statement says one person was arrested at the fan festival at the Pacific National Exhibition for being in breach of court-imposed conditions, but not the event itself.

It says that a second person was removed from BC Place during the match for being too intoxicated and refusing to leave.

The

Add as a preferred source on Google

Procession will bring fallen Toronto officer to funeral home Sunday

A funeral procession was held on Sunday for Toronto Const. Marc Pinizzotto, who was killed in the line of duty last week during a raid at a North York apartment building.

The motorcade left the Office of the Chief Coroner at 3 p.m. and brought his body to a funeral home in Thornhill.

The procession was livestreamed by the OPP on their YouTube channel .

A book of condolences is available for the public to sign at Toronto police headquarters on College Street, as well as 23 Division at 52

Add as a preferred source on Google