Should Toronto consider expanding pedestrian-only zones?

A little over a week into a pedestrian-only pilot project banning cars from a section of Church Street, and Toronto city councillors are asking for more.

Claiming there is a “strong public demand for pedestrian-oriented experiences,” councillors voted in favour of making more streets pedestrian-only zones, repeatedly pointing to other cities, such as Montreal.

Sainte-Catherine Street in Montreal is famous for being pedestrian-only, and often cited as a blueprint for Toronto. But a former Toronto journalist, now a Montreal

Add as a preferred source on Google

Gracie the Giraffe, who went missing after wandering off a Texas ranch, is finally found

Gracie the Giraffe, who went missing for about two weeks in Texas after wandering off a remote private ranch, was finally found Friday — and the open range appeared to have agreed with her.

The giraffe was spotted about 4 miles (6.4 kilometers) south of her enclosure during an aerial search in the Texas Hill Country, according to Real County Sheriff Nathan Johnson. He said Gracie’s owner, Vick Jones, contacted a veterinarian and began putting together a team to bring the giraffe safely back to the ranch

Add as a preferred source on Google

Overlap of Toronto Tempo Pride game, Dyke March a disappointing oversight, fans say

Some LGBTQ+ fans of the Toronto Tempo say they’re disheartened they’re being forced to choose between attending the team’s first-ever Pride game and a beloved Pride event this weekend because the match directly overlaps with the annual Dyke March in the city’s gay village.

The Tempo will take on the Phoenix Mercury at 2 p.m. Saturday at Scotiabank Arena, the same time the Dyke March kicks off in the Church-Wellesley neighbourhood.

Toronto resident Krystle Merrow will be missing the Dyke March

Add as a preferred source on Google

Hotel occupancy down in Toronto during first weeks of World Cup

An organization representing Toronto hotels says demand for accommodations in the city is down as more rooms stood empty during the first two weeks of the World Cup than in the same time last year.

Sara Anghel, president of the Greater Toronto Hotel Association, says she’s optimistic the international soccer tournament will be a boon to the city’s hotel industry in the years to come, but with the World Cup underway, hotels haven’t been seeing immediate benefits.

Anghel says 82 per cent of hotel rooms were occupied

Add as a preferred source on Google

StubHub World Cup ticket complaints under investigation in B.C.

VANCOUVER — Consumer Protection BC is investigating complaints about ticket reseller StubHub from people who say they didn’t receive their World Cup tickets, British Columbia’s attorney general says.

Niki Sharma said in a statement on Friday that reports people in B.C. purchased tickets from StubHub but didn’t get them “are deeply concerning” and that she understands the investigation is to determine if any laws have been broken.

“While I cannot comment on this investigation directly, and StubHub has publicly committed to honouring its refund

Add as a preferred source on Google

Police crack down on GTA drug trafficking network, $4.7M worth of drugs seized

Authorities have arrested three men who are accused of trafficking narcotics between Ontario and Quebec.

Ontario Provincial Police say they were tipped off to a drug trafficking network operating in the Greater Toronto Area through information received by the Surete du Quebec in March 2026.

Then, on June 4, authorities from multiple police departments executed five search warrants on residences in Acton, Georgetown, Erin and Oshawa.

During the searches, police seized a mix of drugs, cash and electronic devices. The list includes:

  • 46 kg suspected
Add as a preferred source on Google

OpenAI limits its latest ChatGPT product to Trump-approved customers during cybersecurity review

ChatGPT maker OpenAI said Friday it is restricting the release of its new artificial intelligence model at the request of President Donald Trump’s administration, the latest in an unprecedented government vetting of AI products that could pose cybersecurity risks.

OpenAI said its new AI product, called GPT-5.6 Sol, would only be available for now to a “small group of trusted partners” approved by the Trump administration.

“We don’t believe this kind of government access process should become the long-term default,”

Add as a preferred source on Google

Canada has no plans to open embassies in Iran or Venezuela, Anand says

OTTAWA — Canada is not about to open any embassies in Iran or Venezuela, Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand said Friday.

Anand said Canada relies on Italy to connect with Canadians in Iran but admits using an intermediary isn’t the most efficient way of dealing with consular issues.

“We do not have plans to open an embassy in Iran or Venezuela at the current time,” Anand told a news conference alongside Turkey’s Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan in Ottawa.

A group called the Iranian Justice Collective said recently it had

Add as a preferred source on Google

Meet the Halton Region Police Service’s new Electronic Storage Detection dog

She’s only two years old but she’s already been a working professional for four months and is a rising star among the ranks of the Halton Regional Police Service (HRPS).

K9 Cache, a yellow Labrador retriever, is the newest member of the force’s investigative team and serves as an Electronic Storage Detection (ESD) dog. She’s only one of nine ESD dogs in Canada and the first of her kind to work with HRPS.

ESD K9s are trained to detect electronics

Continue reading...

Israel and Lebanon sign framework agreement with US in ‘first step’ toward peace, Rubio says

WASHINGTON (AP) — Secretary of State Marco Rubio joined Israel and Lebanon’s ambassadors to the U.S. Friday to announce a framework agreement that was described as a first step toward peace following months of conflict between Israel and the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah.

The officials did not share details on the agreement, which does not include Hezbollah and prompted one of the group’s officials in Lebanon to warn of civil war. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu later said that the framework would allow Lebanese forces to eventually take

Add as a preferred source on Google