Carney says having no embassy in Iran puts Canada at ‘a disadvantage’

OTTAWA — Canada is “at a disadvantage” in countries like Iran where it lacks a diplomatic presence, but his government is not looking to re-establish relations with Tehran, Prime Minister Mark Carney said on Thursday.

“Engagement is not endorsement. Having an embassy, having consular services in a country does not mean we endorse the policies of that country,” Carney told reporters Thursday.

Commenting on the deadly earthquakes in Venezuela during a Thursday press conference, Carney said not having diplomats on the ground in Caracas makes it

Add as a preferred source on Google

York police appeal for witnesses in crash between cyclist and pickup truck in East Gwillimbury

York Regional Police investigators are appealing for witnesses to come forward after a collision between a pickup truck and a cyclist in East Gwillimbury on Wednesday.

Police were called to the area of Doane Road, east of Warden Avenue, shortly before noon.

The vehicles were travelling in opposite directions when they collided.

Police say the cyclist – a 58-year-old man from Markham – was taken to hospital with serious, life-threatening injuries. The driver of the pickup truck remained on scene.

The investigation is ongoing.

Add as a preferred source on Google

Carney says six upcoming byelections will likely be spread out

OTTAWA — Prime Minister Mark Carney says the six byelections to fill current and upcoming vacancies in the House of Commons won’t likely be held all at the same time.

Carney said in French he has not yet decided when the byelections will take place, but he does have to account for factors like the provincial election in Quebec, scheduled for Oct. 5.

B.C. Liberal MP Jonathan Wilkinson and former Bloc Québécois MP Simon-Pierre Savard-Tremblay both formally resigned their seats last week

Add as a preferred source on Google

Report: Kawhi Leonard, Raptors have mutual interest in reunion

Eight years after Kawhi Leonard first joined the Toronto Raptors for one thrilling title run and then swiftly departed, could a reunion be in the works?

The Raptors have “registered interest” in reuniting with the seven-time all-star, and Leonard would be “open to signing an extension” if he were dealt to Toronto from the Los Angeles Clippers, NBA insider Jake Fischer reported on Thursday.

Leonard, 35, is in the final year of his current contract, which pays him $50.3

Add as a preferred source on Google

Some airlines reduce fuel surcharges as oil falls, while others hold steady

CALGARY — Some Canadian airlines are scaling back fuel surcharges as fuel prices fall, while others are holding steady for now.

WestJet Airlines says it has reduced its levy on companion vouchers to $40 from $60 per round trip or one-way fare.

Porter Airlines has cut the fuel surcharge for new reward flight bookings by half to $20, and says it will make further adjustments as conditions change.

Meanwhile, Air Canada is managing fuel costs through its regular fare structure, though a surcharge remains in

Add as a preferred source on Google

Plane fighting wildfires with 3 on board crashes in Northwest Territories

YELLOWKNIFE — A small plane carrying three people fighting fires in the Northwest Territories has crashed.

Mounties haven’t said if anyone on board survived.

The crash happened Wednesday night about 50 kilometres from Fort Simpson, west of Yellowknife.

RCMP say officers were able to reach the site and have launched an investigation.

They say the aircraft is a Turbo Commander 960 Bird Dog, which is typically used as an airborne command centre to co-ordinate firefighting operations.

Police say Transportation Safety Board investigators have been called in

Add as a preferred source on Google

Ontario Ombudsman finds families unfairly denied COVID‑era payments

Ontario’s Ministry of Education has accepted all 14 recommendations following a new Ombudsman investigation that found five direct‑payment programs launched between 2020 and 2023 unfairly denied funds to eligible parents and guardians.

The report — Catching Up on Fairness — outlines how families seeking financial support during school disruptions were repeatedly turned away because someone else had already claimed payments for their child.

The Ombudsman’s Office received more than 200 complaints across the five programs, from the early Support for Parents and

Add as a preferred source on Google

PM Carney to share plans for future of 24 Sussex on Friday

OTTAWA — Prime Minister Mark Carney says he will unveil plans for the future of 24 Sussex on Friday.

Since the building was abandoned as the official residence of the prime minister, taxpayers have been shelling out tens of thousands of dollars per year to maintain the vacant property.

Asked at a press conference today what he would like to see happen to the building, Carney said he’d hold a press conference Friday to discuss that .

Carney told reporters last May that it was up to the National Capital Commission to decide

Add as a preferred source on Google

Carney says new Canadians told to surrender citizenship documents deserve answers

OTTAWA — Prime Minister Mark Carney said Thursday people who were told to surrender their proof of citizenship deserve an explanation and he will “be following up to ensure they get that.”

Immigration Minister Lena Diab said Tuesday she ordered an investigation into citizenship claims related to Bill C-3 as soon as she became aware that “something” had happened to some files.

Her department has said “a few dozen” people who became citizens by descent under C-3 received emails earlier this month telling them to surrender their citizenship

Add as a preferred source on Google

Carney says he and Trump discussed defence priorities, Arctic ahead of NATO summit

Prime Minister Mark Carney says he spoke with U.S. President Donald Trump about efforts to protect the Arctic ahead of their attendance at the NATO summit in Turkey next month.

The prime minister held a wide-ranging news conference in Ottawa today to mark the end of the parliamentary sitting that wrapped up last week.

Carney says Trump called him Wednesday for a “long discussion” that also included other senior officials, including Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth.

Carney says he and Trump had a “constructive” conversation about NATO,

Add as a preferred source on Google