Premier Doug Ford calls judge’s ruling on Ontario encampment ‘cockamamie’
An Ontario judge’s recent decision barring the Region of Waterloo from removing people living in a homeless encampment is “cockamamie,” Premier Doug Ford said on Friday.
Justice Michael R. Gibson found in a decision released Thursday that a local bylaw created to allow the region to remove about two dozen homeless people from a parking lot encampment violates their rights under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
The encampment in Kitchener, Ont., has been around since 2021, when thousands of homeless people fled shelters during
Man accused of killing neighbour in Liberty Village tells court he had nothing to do with the murder
A Toronto man facing second-degree murder charges in the death of his neighbour in Liberty Village testified in court Friday that he had nothing to do with the man’s death in the summer of 2023.
The decomposing body of Toronto filmmaker Reeyaz Habib was found wrapped up in blankets and duct tape in the trash compactor of a townhouse complex on Western Battery Road on June 8, 2023.
Weeks later, Khoa Tran of Toronto, who lived in the unit below Habib, was arrested and
Man, woman charged in death of 4-month-old near Barrie
A man and a woman from Barrie are facing charges in connection with the death of an infant in 2024.
South Simcoe Police say they were called to a home on Algonquin Avenue in the Town of Innisfil in the early morning hours of November 8, 2024, where they found a four-month-old infant without any vital signs.
The child was taken to a local hospital in Barrie before being transferred to SickKids hospital in Toronto. The infant was pronounced dead two days later.
Following
NASCAR’s Kyle Busch was short of breath, coughing up blood day before his death, 911 call reveals
CONCORD, N.C. (AP) — NASCAR driver Kyle Busch experienced shortness of breath, felt he was overheating and was coughing up blood the day before his death, according to a 911 call obtained Friday by The Associated Press.
at age 41. No cause of death has been given, though his family said earlier he had been hospitalized with a “severe illness” three days before he was to compete in the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
Busch was testing in
Family of missing teen girl pleads for public’s help at one week mark since disappearance
It’s been one week since 14-year-old Esther disappeared and her distraught family made a fresh appeal for the public’s help in finding the missing teen on Friday.
Speaking to media, Esther’s mother Shira said her daughter is vulnerable given that she is on the autism spectrum and they are very worried she might be harmed.
“She’s very, very smart [but] I worry that she’s going to be too trusting, that somebody will have ill intentions. I

Motion Picture Association slams CRTC rules on Canadian content investment
OTTAWA — The industry lobby group representing big American streaming services slammed new revenue rules on Friday forcing them to invest in Canadian content while some Canadian industry organizations said the rules are in line with what this country has required for decades.
The groups are reacting after Canada’s broadcast regulator, the CRTC, said Thursday large TV streaming services must contribute 15 per cent of their Canadian revenues to Canadian content.
That’s three times the initial contribution requirement the CRTC set out in 2024, which is being
Female pedestrian struck by truck in Cabbagetown: Toronto police
Toronto police say a female pedestrian has suffered serious injuries after she was struck by a cement truck in Cabbagetown on Friday afternoon.
It happened at the intersection of Gerrard Street East and Parliament Street at around 12:30 p.m.
The driver of the cement truck remained on scene.
Gerrard Street is currently closed between Berkeley and Sumach streets.
No further details were immediately available.
More to come
Add CityNews Toronto as a trusted source on Google to see more local stories from us.
‘Racist crap’: Mayor Chow addresses online attacks targeting her race, accent and work ethic
Drowning deaths of mother and son: Quebec coroner emphasizes swimming lessons
MONTREAL — A Quebec coroner is emphasizing the importance of swimming lessons in a report into the drownings of a mother and her three-year-old son.
The report says the 34-year-old woman was spending time near the pool at her Montreal home last June when her three-year-old son fell into the deep end while chasing a ball.
The mother jumped in after her child despite not knowing how to swim, and both drowned.
Coroner Edgard Nassif noted that neither were wearing flotation devices,
Anand says Canadians subject to ‘appalling abuse’ after flotilla detained by Israel
OTTAWA — Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand said Friday she had received details from her officials in Turkey about “appalling abuse” suffered by Canadians who were on board a flotilla trying to reach Gaza.
She said in a social media post the 12 Canadians on the Global Sumud Flotilla have now all arrived in Turkey and are receiving “urgent medical care.”
“Canada unequivocally condemns the grave mistreatment of Canadians in Israel. Those responsible for this egregious abuse must be held accountable,” Anand said.
“We will continue to