Liberals target affordability to meet era of uncertainty

The federal Liberals say they’re getting a windfall from better-than-expected fiscal revenues and are largely putting that money back into circulation to support households and build up the economy.

But Ottawa’s spring economic update also sees some darker clouds on the horizon as uncertainty over the Iran war and U.S. tariffs threatens growth in the years ahead.

Finance Minister François-Philippe Champagne on Tuesday tabled Canada Strong For All, a mid-year fiscal update that includes $54.5 billion


Feds outline $4.3B for Indigenous education, health in spring economic update

OTTAWA — The federal government is promising $4.3 billion for First Nations education, Inuit food security and Indigenous child welfare in its spring economic update.

Much of the funding cited in the statement has been announced already, while funding to build more homes in Indigenous communities is being reallocated from other areas of government.

The document says the funding will help “empower healthy, thriving Indigenous communities.”

The federal government is setting aside $601 million this year for on-reserve elementary and secondary education “that


Spring economic update includes plans to cut spending on consultants, protect whales

OTTAWA — The federal government tabled its spring economic update on Tuesday, projecting a $66.9 billion deficit for the fiscal year which ended on March 31.

Here are some of the highlights:

Reducing spending on federal consulting

The government says it will reduce spending on external management and other consulting by 20 per cent over the next three years.

The update document says the government spent about $5 billion on management and other consulting in 2024-25, while spending on all professional and


Man, 70, charged with first degree murder of 62-year-old Mississauga man

Peel Regional Police have laid charges against a man taken into custody Monday in connection with the shooting death of a 62-year-old man in Mississauga.

Police and paramedics were called to a business plaza on Matheson Boulevard near Kennedy Road shortly after 8:30 a.m. on Monday to attend to an unresponsive male.

When they arrived, crews found a man inside a store suffering from multiple gunshot wounds. Lifesavings measures were taken, but the man did not survive and was pronounced dead at the scene


Weinstein rape accuser tells jury that ‘he just treated me like he owned me’

NEW YORK (AP) — The woman at the centre of Harvey Weinstein ‘s repeatedly retried rape case testified — for the third time — Tuesday that the former Hollywood honcho trapped her in a New York hotel room and assaulted her, ignoring her pleas not to do anything sexual.

“I said ‘no’ over and over, and I tried to leave,” Jessica Mann told jurors, sobbing. “He just treated me like he owned me.”

Mann, 40, is a hairstylist and actor.


SIU investigating after collision involving Toronto police vehicle sends 3 to hospital

Three people are in hospital and the Special Investigations Unit (SIU) has been called in following a crash involving a Toronto Police Service (TPS) vehicle.

Officers were called to Albion Road and Kipling Avenue around 10:15 a.m. Tuesday for a crash between a vehicle and a TPS patrol car.

One officer was taken to hospital with minor injuries while the 19-year-old male driver of the other vehicle was transported to hospital with serious, but non-life-threatening injuries.


Provinces eye youth social media bans as federal government weighs action

Several provincial governments across Canada are looking at tighter restrictions for youth on social media, artificial intelligence chatbots, and cellphone use in schools amid growing concerns over their impact on young people.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew’s government recently announced that it plans to ban children from using social media accounts and AI chatbots, starting in classrooms. While the details are so far unclear, the idea appears to have support from several other governments.

Ontario Education Minister Paul Calandra said Tuesday that he is looking not only at a social media ban


Ontario will not take over entirety of Toronto Islands: transportation minister

The province says it will not take over the entirety of the Toronto Islands despite the language of its proposed legislation.

The office of Transportation Minister Prabmeet Sarkaria says the province will work with the City of Toronto to only use the land needed to expand Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport.

Sarkaria introduced a bill last week that would allow the province to take Toronto’s spot in a tripartite agreement that governs the land, an accord that is currently between the city, the federal government and the Toronto Port Authority, which is a


Ex-FBI Director Comey indicted again, in a probe over an online post officials call a Trump threat

WASHINGTON (AP) — was indicted again Tuesday, this time in an investigation over of seashells arranged on a beach that officials said constituted a threat against President Donald Trump.

The criminal case is and is part of the Trump administration Justice Department’s relentless effort to prosecute political opponents of the Republican president. The seashells photo was posted nearly a year ago, but the indictment was secured at a time when , a Trump loyalist who previously served as his personal lawyer, aims to prove to the president that he is the


CFL to change when it begins its season and adopt new playoff format in 2027

The CFL will kick off its season earlier and revamp its playoff format in 2027.

Next year, the CFL’s regular season will kick off the Victoria Day weekend in May, its earliest start ever.

The ’26 campaign opens June 4 with the Montreal Alouettes visiting the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

But the bigger change revolves around the CFL playoffs format, which will see eight of the league’s nine teams making the post-season and three rounds before the Grey Cup game rather than two