Provinces eye youth social media bans as federal government weighs action
Several provincial governments across Canada are looking at tighter restrictions for youth on social media, artificial intelligence chatbots, and cellphone use in schools amid growing concerns over their impact on young people.
Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew’s government recently announced that it plans to ban children from using social media accounts and AI chatbots, starting in classrooms. While the details are so far unclear, the idea appears to have support from several other governments.
Ontario Education Minister Paul Calandra said Tuesday that he is looking not only at a social media ban
Ontario will not take over entirety of Toronto Islands: transportation minister
The province says it will not take over the entirety of the Toronto Islands despite the language of its proposed legislation.
The office of Transportation Minister Prabmeet Sarkaria says the province will work with the City of Toronto to only use the land needed to expand Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport.
Sarkaria introduced a bill last week that would allow the province to take Toronto’s spot in a tripartite agreement that governs the land, an accord that is currently between the city, the federal government and the Toronto Port Authority, which is a
Ex-FBI Director Comey indicted again, in a probe over an online post officials call a Trump threat
WASHINGTON (AP) — was indicted again Tuesday, this time in an investigation over of seashells arranged on a beach that officials said constituted a threat against President Donald Trump.
The criminal case is and is part of the Trump administration Justice Department’s relentless effort to prosecute political opponents of the Republican president. The seashells photo was posted nearly a year ago, but the indictment was secured at a time when , a Trump loyalist who previously served as his personal lawyer, aims to prove to the president that he is the
CFL to change when it begins its season and adopt new playoff format in 2027
The CFL will kick off its season earlier and revamp its playoff format in 2027.
Next year, the CFL’s regular season will kick off the Victoria Day weekend in May, its earliest start ever.
The ’26 campaign opens June 4 with the Montreal Alouettes visiting the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.
But the bigger change revolves around the CFL playoffs format, which will see eight of the league’s nine teams making the post-season and three rounds before the Grey Cup game rather than two
Former Fauci adviser indicted for allegedly concealing communications related to COVID-19 research
WASHINGTON (AP) — A former senior adviser to Dr. Anthony Fauci was indicted on federal charges alleging he conspired to hide his communications related to COVID-19 research as the pandemic raged across the country, the Justice Department said Tuesday.
Dr. David Morens, 78, is accused of using his private email account to intentionally circumvent public records laws while employed at the National Institutes of Health. The Justice Department alleges that he concealed or destroyed records of discussions related to COVID-19 research grants, including
It’s Trey Day once again, as Yesavage ready to rejoin Blue Jays vs Red Sox
TORONTO — First, struck out nine batters over five innings of one-run ball during an electric big-league debut. In his next start, he helped the clinch a post-season berth. The next time out, he set them up to win the American League East, which they did in Game 162.
Then his outings just got bigger and better from there — tearing through the New York Yankees in an 11-strikeout division series gem; helping fend off elimination versus the Seattle Mariners in
Ontario considering ban of cellphones on school property
Ontario Education Minister Paul Calandra says he is looking at a social media ban in schools and would like to go further than what Manitoba has planned.
Calandra says the province will be working closely with the federal government on a social media ban for kids under a certain age.
He also says he is considering implementing an “outright ban” of cellphones on school properties, with some medical exemptions.
At a press conference today in southwest Ontario, Calandra said most ministers of education across the country are in agreement that it has not
Dialysis patients call on Wheel-Trans to prioritize certain medical rides
Patients who rely on lifesaving medical treatments like dialysis and chemotherapy are calling on TTC’s Wheel-Trans to make some changes.
Melissa Dury, who’s lived with diabetes for more than 20 years, is among them.
“I go for dialysis three times a week, four hours each visit, so it’s a long time.”
Each visit she says, takes a toll.
“It exhausts you like you are just shattered afterwards. You just feel like you want to sleep for a week
Growing up with ‘Toy Story’: Andrew Stanton on 30+ years with Woody and Buzz
Andrew Stanton has spent more than half his life with He was the lead writer on the first three, a script savior on the fourth, and now, cowriter and co-director on
“It wasn’t the plan,” he said in a recent interview with The Associated Press. “But it wasn’t not the plan.”
Stanton has done other things than think about Woody and Buzz for the past 34 years. At Pixar, he made “A Bug’s Life” and two Oscar
Toronto World Cup seats off FIFA resale site as org. works to comply with price cap
TORONTO — FIFA’s marketplace for resale World Cup tickets no longer has seats listed for Toronto matches after a new price cap law came into effect.
The Ontario legislation bans people and platforms from reselling seats to events in the province for more than face value.
FIFA said its resale platform is being reconfigured to comply with the legislation that became law Friday and are expected to be relisted once the system changes are complete.
The organization behind the tournament running from June 11 to June 19 says listings for Toronto’s